So you’ve made a Facebook page and you’ve got a few likes. Great work! But those likes aren’t going to get you anywhere if you don’t utilise and grow them further. What sort of content should you be posting to engage your audience while still promoting your music?
- Status updates: E.g. Off to the studio
- Visual content: Pics/videos from days in the studio, gigs etc.
- Promotion: After all, promoting your music is why you made a Facebook page
- Interactive posts: E.g Questions, competitions, ‘like and I’ll…’
Facebook allows you to post content in a variety of different formats, but what it doesn’t tell you is that the reach of these posts can vary greatly depending on the format.
Statuses usually get the most reach, but visual media such as images tend to generate the most engagement. Link reach is limited as Facebook seems to see it as promotion. Remove the link preview to change the post to a status.
Note: How Facebook’s algorithm handles post formats seems to depend on page likes, so if the results you’re getting don’t match the information in this page, try experimenting a little. Reach of pages with less likes isn’t as heavily affected by Facebook’s algorithm.
The optimum time to post on Facebook tends to be between 3-5pm, however this can vary depending on what audience you’re trying to reach. If you find this window doesn’t work, experiment with other timings while still keeping other variables (such as post format) the same.
When you create a Facebook page you should try and update it at regular intervals. That may be several times a day, once a day, or even once or twice a week.
If you’re posting several times a day, try to make sure posts are spread out in order to reach different audiences. E.g. 10am, 12:30pm, 3pm, 6:30pm etc.
Organically increasing Facebook likes is usually something that happens gradually over time, however here are a few quick ways to boost likes:
- Invite friends to like your page
- Post Facebook link on your other social networks to encourage fans to follow your career across all platforms
- Update regularly and avoid long periods of time without posting