WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU???
(A Bit About Borderline Personality Disorder)
What is BPD?
Borderline Personality Disorder is often characterised by the following nine symptoms:
- You feel very worried about people abandoning you, and would do anything to stop that happening.
- You have very intense emotions that last from a few hours to a few days and can change quickly (for example, from feeling very happy and confident to suddenly feeling low and sad).
- You don't have a strong sense of who you are, and it can change significantly depending on who you're with.
- You find it very hard to make and keep stable relationships.
- You feel empty a lot of the time.
- You act impulsively and do things that could harm you (such as binge eating, using drugs or driving dangerously).
- You often self-harm or have suicidal feelings.
- You have very intense feelings of anger, which are really difficult to control.
- When very stressed, you may also experience paranoia or dissociation
What causes it?
Researchers think that BPD is caused by a combination of factors, including:
- stressful or traumatic life events
- genetic factors
Living with BPD
People's experiences with BPD can differ wildly. While this blog shares mine, you can get an idea of other people's by clicking the button below
Is It Treatable?
BPD can be treated with structured talking therapies such as DBT and MBT.