I'm Aysh Banaysh. A 25-year-old borderline body piercer from London, UK.
Being borderline is hard.
Running a business is hard.
Both together? Boy, I'm a mess.
When I was really struggling I searched the internet desperate to find people like me. I was struggling to manage and cope with the demands of my business on top of my mental health issues, but when I was researched into it hoping to find some reassurance (or even just something to relate to) I was met with a bit of empty space. There is a LOT of content on living with BPD and there is also a LOT of content on running a business, but I found very little on doing both simultaneously (and what I did find wasn't very encouraging).
I want this blog to fill that gap. I want it to be a place where I can openly and honestly talk about my mental illness, my business and how they affect each other.
As someone who is still in the early-ish stages of treatment, I am both excited and nervous for the journey ahead. I know it will be a lot of work, but I also know that in the end it'll be worth it (although I know it may not feel that way for a while).
I expect that at first this blog will focus heavily on my mental health (since that's my biggest struggle right now), and as I start to be able to function more effectively the focus will lean more towards business.
I'd love to be in a position in the future to offer tips and advice to other people in my position, but right now I'm just figuring things out for myself and inviting you to watch.
My Latest Post...
Whether you relate, whether you're reassured or whether you just want to keep up to date with my progress, subscribe for email updates when I post
WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU???
(A Bit About Borderline Personality Disorder)
What is BPD?
Borderline Personality Disorder is often characterised by the following nine symptoms:
- You feel very worried about people abandoning you, and would do anything to stop that happening.
- You have very intense emotions that last from a few hours to a few days and can change quickly (for example, from feeling very happy and confident to suddenly feeling low and sad).
- You don't have a strong sense of who you are, and it can change significantly depending on who you're with.
- You find it very hard to make and keep stable relationships.
- You feel empty a lot of the time.
- You act impulsively and do things that could harm you (such as binge eating, using drugs or driving dangerously).
- You often self-harm or have suicidal feelings.
- You have very intense feelings of anger, which are really difficult to control.
- When very stressed, you may also experience paranoia or dissociation
What causes it?
Researchers think that BPD is caused by a combination of factors, including:
- stressful or traumatic life events
- genetic factors
Living with BPD
People's experiences with BPD can differ wildly. While this blog shares mine, you can get an idea of other people's by clicking the button below
Is It Treatable?
BPD can be treated with structured talking therapies such as DBT and MBT.